By Allie Skalnik
Sarah Naidu wrote a wonderful article on every presidential candidate as of November 2019. Read that here. Since then, seventeen candidates have dropped out. Here’s a quick update!
Joseph R. Biden Jr: Democrat
- He has run for president twice already
- Former VP under Obama presidency, former senator from Delaware
- Focuses on offering protections for workers in manufacturing and fast food
Learn more about Biden here.
Tulsi Gabbard: Democrat
- Army National Guard veteran and congresswoman from Hawaii
- She met with Syria’s president, who was accused of using chemical weapons against civilians
- She made anti-gay statements and worked for an anti-gay advocacy group. She has since apologized.
- Focuses on military intervention, including in Syria
Learn more about Gabbard here.
Bernie Sanders: Democrat
- The current front-runner for the Democrats
- Senator from Vermont
- He is a Democratic-Socialist
- His policies include Medicare for All and tuition-free college
Learn more about Sanders here.
Donald Trump: Republican
- As the sitting president, he is the current front-runner for the Republicans
- He supports tax cuts and has acted on this during his presidency
- Faced legal investigations and impeachment during his stay in office
- He focuses on immigration reform, trade, and undoing the work of the Obama administration
Learn more about Trump here.
William F. Weld
- He was previously a Libertarian
- Former governor of Massachusetts and former federal prosecutor
- He is running as a more moderate option to Trump (and he often criticizes him)
- He has endorsed steps to legalize marijuana.
- Supports fiscal restraint, free trade and moderate immigration reform
Learn more about Weld here.
Featured image courtesy of Hispanic Heritage Foundation